Thursday, November 09, 2006

Give a little whistle.


I remember hearing a preacher give an illustration about an irate lady who some years ago took her new car back to the showroom because of an annoying beeping sound. "Every time I get into the car" she said, "the beeper goes off and never stops throughout the whole journey. It's driving me crazy. Either fix it or give me my money back!" After a short investigation the sales man replied, "Madam, the beeping sound is a warning signal to remind you to fasten your seat belt. You payed extra for that function!" The story was used to illustrate the purpose of the conscience, and lately that theme has been cropping up in my Bible readings. "Keep your conscience clear . . . ", "don't be like so and so who have shipwrecked their faith through a bad conscience.", "being set free from an evil conscience .", "Give a little whistle, and always let your conscience be your guide ." OK, maybe not that one, but I've even been reminded of it while at the laptop. Every so often a beep sounds and a nag screen appears telling me I have the freebie version of Newsfire, and would I like to purchase the full version now or later, and each time this happens I click the "Later" button. Now, I've no intention of upgrading either now or later as I'm happy with the version I've got. On the other hand when my conscience nags me I find I'm not happy at all. But guess what, when I stop trying to silence it by pressing the "Later" button, I really like the peace that results. What a delight a clear conscience is! Does your conscience nag you? You could try pressing the "Purchase now Button" and buy into some peace of mind!

No comments: